$20 (does not include entrance to Museum)
2 hour tour starting outside the Museum Box Office at 12pm
Did you know the Museum of Sex immediate vicinity was a world-famous, red-light district filled with saloons, dance halls, gambling dens, and houses of ill-repute once called “Satan’s Circus?”
Now known as NoMad (“North of Madison Square") the area has been tamed by the passage of time and succession of reformers… but remnants of its licentious past are still around if you know where to look. Our experienced guide Robert Brenner will take you on a two-hour tour of this infamous district (also known as the “Tenderloin”) and experience the modern day sights and sounds of an area that was the vibrant underbelly of the City’s historic culture.
- The hotels Diamond Jim Brady, Lillian Russell, Samuel Clemens, Oscar Wilde, and Nikola Tesla all called their stomping grounds.
- A famous gay bathhouse with a tragic history.
- A music hall with a scandalous VIP backroom.
- And the flower district where you could purchase more than just orchids.
Robert Brenner is a licensed New York City tour guide, a certified member of the Guides Association of New York City, a docent for the Municipal Art Society of New York, and a lifelong New Yorker. He has led walking tours for MAS, the Van Alen Institute, Untapped Cities, the New York Public Library, the Times Square Alliance, Google, the Urbanist, Urban Sustainability, and many other organizations. He specializes in the offbeat, the obscure, and the occasionally obscene.
- Entry to the Museum of Sex
- Gratuities (optional)
- Email confirmation will be received upon booking
- Tours are conducted in intimate groups of no more than twelve guests
- Tours operate in all weather conditions
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not recommended for participants with back problems, heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- If you cancel at least 7 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 3 and 6 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 2 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.